position description of the administrative assistant
Status: Regular, Full Time, Salaried, with Benefits, Support Staff
An administrative position that is exempt from overtime compensation
Reports to: Senior Pastor, who helps set goals and provides an annual performance review
Schedule: Primarily Monday-Friday, 40 hours weekly, with occasional weekends and evenings when supporting the Voters Assembly meetings or other functions which the Senior Pastor deems necessary.
This position is critical to the overall effectiveness of the Executive Ministry Staff, the Board of Lay Ministry, and Trinity congregation, as they work collaboratively to fulfill Trinity’s mission to share the forgiveness and love of the resurrected Christ and to make disciples.
The primary responsibility of the Administrative Assistant is to support the Senior Pastor in executive duties and to provide additional support to the other staff members, Board of Lay Ministry directors, Board of Elders, and the congregation at large.
The Administrative Assistant’s primary function is to assist the Senior Pastor as he administers the various aspects of his administration. This includes scheduling and managing his calendar and that of the other pastors as requested, organizing meetings, preparing occasional correspondence, providing liaison to all committees and boards within the congregation, and assisting with preparation of certain aspects of the Administration annual budget.
Additionally, the Administrative Assistant also serves the other staff members as their needs require and time permits, and supports the committee chairpersons as needed in the area of meeting materials and coordination of meetings as needed.
1. Manage and maintain the integrity of the membership database including household information, recording of all pastoral acts and membership changes, and manage and train volunteers in timely entry of worship attendance.
2. Provide various reports from the membership database, including the annual statistical report for Synod, as well as correspondence related to membership changes.
3. Manage member communication in a timely and caring way and provide administrative support to Pastors for pastoral care areas such as funerals, baptisms, weddings, and home and hospital visits.
4. Develop and manage a team of Guest Hosting Volunteers for the purpose of providing reception and telephone switchboard services for onsite visitors and callers to the church office during weekday office hours.
5. Coordinate and manage the scheduling of the Master Calendar of events and activities, including the related facility usage guidelines and logistics, for timely communication to custodians, members, and various community groups using the facility.
6. Together with the other office staff and volunteers, provide church office coverage including opening the facility each weekday morning.
7. Provide other miscellaneous duties such as ordering office supplies and preparing P.O.’s, sorting mail, copying, filing, and assisting walk-in visitors and callers who present needs which go beyond the expectations of the Guest Hosting Volunteers.
Spiritual Maturity: A follower of Jesus Christ who strives to make prayer and Bible study a regular part of life. Is able to integrate faith into the daily execution of the position’s responsibilities.
Compassion and Care: Demonstrates a natural sense of care for the well-being of others; responds with empathy to the life circumstances of others and communicates a sense of support while demonstrating appropriate boundaries.
Integrity and Trust: Keeps confidences and is seen as trustworthy by others in maintaining consistency of professional behaviors in both stressful and non-stressful situations.
Technical Ability: Competent in computer applications needed for the position including word processing, spreadsheets, and membership database. Ability to learn and master new database programs as needed. Able to run inquiries and access data points needed for problem solving and analysis.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills: Effective in written and verbal communication skills and establishes positive working relationships in a spirit of unity with members, staff, visitors, and the community.
Project and Time Management: Ability to coordinate multiple ongoing projects and job tasks effectively and efficiently to meet deadlines and successfully prepare for each week.
Confidentiality: Discretion in working with confidential information.
Attention to Detail: Must consistently and accurately attend to details to assure the accuracy and completion of work; problem solve in order to resolve issues or questions, keeping the larger picture in mind while tending to the smallest of details.
A passion for church ministry reflected in previous work experience or formalized training preferred.
College education and/or degree preferred.
If you have any questions regarding the position, please email email@example.com